Monday, January 23, 2012

Phoebe

Last week we had some friends visit us here in Charlotte. Mark and Nicole Kennell and their two daughters, Maddie and Michal are working in Kara, Togo, West Africa to shine the light of Jesus. They are home on furlough ( working vacation)  visiting their supporters and family and friends.  It was great to see them and hear about the work they are doing with the Kabiye people.  Togo is not open to international adoption but the need is great in this country. Just like in so many other countries AIDS is the leading cause of orphans.The work that Mark and Nicole are doing with an AIDS clinic through Hope through Health is changing lives. But unlike countries that are open to international adoption, Togo doesn't have a  ready  made advocacy group through adoptive parents.  Adoptive parents are usually great advocates for their child's country but what about the countries who don't have that?

Thankfully there are folks who step up and do the work. One of these women I want to introduce to you is Phoebe Assiki.  Mark and Nicole made a video to show the work that is going on in Togo. Phoebe is introduced around minute 5.  She is one woman making such a difference in the lives of children in her country.  She is truly living out what Jesus said in Luke 9:48

Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me also welcomes my Father who sent me. Whoever is the least among you is the greatest.”

After watching Phoebe tell her story I couldn't help but be convicted by the life she lives and her commitment to living like Jesus. Adoption is not easy...the application process, the waiting...and more waiting,  the cost, and the days, months and years after bringing your child home are not easy in fact it is just hard!  But, I am blessed with a huge support network. I have a local support group of adoptive families, I have a huge network of adoption mamas who I can ask anything to and will be there for help and support, I have fb support groups, I have books to read, I have blogs to read, and I have an incredible retreat that I can go to each year and get filled up!  Phoebe has none of that but yet she still does the hard work. I can't help but ask myself would that be me?  If it wasn't so easy in this country, if ministry in this country weren't so clean and tidy and if I had no support groups and blogs to read etc. would I be doing what Phoebe is doing?  She has seen the need and she is meeting it!  I just wanted to share her story because she is such and encouragement and example! 

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give
 His life a ransom for many.
Mark 10:45




Love
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment