Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Conversation with a friend

Last night we had a good friend over for dinner.  Sine has been in this country for over twenty  years.  He is from Ethiopia and was a refugee himself.  Of course last night as we sat around our table what did the conversation turn to...the famine in Africa.  I don't know how many times I have heard his own story of life in the refugee camps in Somalia but everytime I hear it, it still moves me so deeply!  He told us how he was moved to tears and sorrow when he saw the pictures of those suffering right now.  He gets it on a much deeper level than I ever will because he has actually suffered from hunger, homelessness and utter despair in his life!   But God has taken care of him time and time again because Christians were willing to step out and be used by God! We talked about the organizations over there right now trying to help. I know in situations like this it is easy to disconnect from it because it is so far away and honestly there is so much in our lives to distract us and I know I feel like what can my little amount do to really help? But if we all work together in Christ he can multiply what we give.  Please consider skipping lunch or dinner this week or like a friend and her husband did...give up your grocery money for the week and just eat soup and sandwiches and give it to the relief effort!

Compassion, World Vision, and MANA are all agencies working over there in the name of Christ!

I was reading the book One Million Arrows by Julie Ferwerda last night and this was the scripture at the beginning of chapter 7!

"'The sin of your sister Sodom was this: She lived with her daughters in the lap of luxury—proud, gluttonous, and lazy. They ignored the oppressed and the poor. They put on airs and lived obscene lives. And you know what happened: I did away with them.  Ezekial 16:49-50

Love
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment